The FARM 1780 is an 8th generation family farm that sits on 34-acres along Corley Mill Rd. in Lexington SC. We grow a mix of seasonal produce, perennial fruits and have over 100 heritage breed chickens, and are working on plans to add goats and pigs in the next few years.
The Farm Hand will make sure that day to day running of the farm goes as smoothly as possible. They must be able to lift more than 50lbs. on a regular basis and be comfortable working closely with livestock. They need to have a general knowledge of how to operate farming and landscaping equipment (or have the ability to learn quickly). The ideal candidate will be able to work on their own to achieve tasks, but also able to work alongside others as needed.
This person needs to be able to thrive in a start-up environment where there is constant change. They must be able to adapt as needed to process adjustments, etc.
- Daily property and field walks to check on status of plants and animals
- Identify possible issues in fields and with livestock, conferring with management to make and act on them
- Assist in maintaining the welfare of livestock, including gathering, cleaning, and packaging eggs
- Cleaning and maintenance of livestock areas
- Planting and harvesting both with machinery and by hand
- Maintain yield management records
- Continually monitor irrigation systems
- Operate tractors, tractor-drawn machinery, and self-propelled machinery
- Inspection, grading, sorting, storage, and post-harvest treatment of crops, ensuring the overall delivery and quality of The FARM’s offerings to customers
- Participate in on-site and off-site farmers markets as needed
This is an hourly, part-time position with the opportunity to earn a full-time position after continued employment. Requires successful completion of a background check prior to start date. Must provide 3 references that can speak to ability to complete job duties as outline above.